Record of VLHC meetings and talks
1998 AT FERMILAB
AWAY FROM THE LAB
- Dec. 12. E. Malamud, "The VLHC" Users Executive Committee.
- Dec. 2. Low Field Magnet Team. Meeting in MW-9
- Nov. 25. Low Field Magnet Team status reports.
- Nov. 20. ep meeting with Argonne people.
- Nov. 20. Meeting with Caterpillar.
- Agenda and links to
talks given at the Magnet Technologies Workshop, Port Jefferson, LI, Nov. 16-18, 1998.
- Nov. 11. Low Field Magnet Group. Nikolai Mokhov, "Beam-loss induced quench
thresholds in the transmission line magnet."
- Nov. 10. Tour to Boretec/Robbins and Cleveland Storm Sewer (Shaker Heights) Tunnel
- Nov. 5. Construction/Installation Team. Dan Nelson, ISGS, "The Illinois State
Geological Survey Data Bases"
- Nov. 4. Low Field Magnet Group.
- Kashikin: High-current test stand flatcoil measurements.
- Piekarz: Transmission line test loop status.
- Mazur: Report on spiders
- Discussion of writing assignments for Magnet Technologies Workshop.
- Oct. 23. Construction/Installation Team. Bill Foster, presentation of his paper "An
unmanned Battery-Operated TBM scenario."
- Oct. 21. Low Field Magnet Group. Discussion of material to prepare for the Port
Jefferson Magnet Technologies Workshop
- Oct. 14. Low Field Magnet Group. Discussion of forthcoming Magnet Technologies Workshop.
- Sept. 30. Low Field Magnet Group.
- Preparations for Sumitomo videoconference (Oct. 5)
- Status of CTS contract.
- MW9 infrastructure improvements.
- Hardware status reports from Walker and Piekarz.
- Sept. 29. E. Malamud, "The Very Large Hadron Collider" Beams Division Seminar
- Sept. 23. Low Field Magnet Team.
- Peter Limon: Budget status for FY '99
- Andy Oleck, H. Piekarz, V. Kashikhin, Design of flow plug region
- H. Piekarz. Revised instrumentation layout for 100kA test loop
- R. Walker: heat leak test setup update
- W. Fowler, M. McAshan, Status of the CTS contract
- E. Malamud, preliminary layout for FY '00 string test in MW beam line enclosure
- Sept. 22. Special meeting. Discussion with Joe Roby, Robbins.
- Sept. 22. Special meeting. Discussion with Eberhard Keil of CERN
- Sept. 16. Low Field Magnet Team.
- V. Kashikhin, Magnetic stored energy and quench survival
- Bill Foster. A self-bucking quench detection scheme.
- P. Mazur. Thermometry and miscellaneous instrumentation
- H. Piekarz. Assembly status and schedule.
- Sept. 8. E. Malamud, "The Very Large Hadron Collider"
invited talk at the 17th International Conference on High Energy Accelerators, Dubna.
- Sept. 2. Low Field Magnet Team.
- E. Malamud. HEPAP presentation and workshop plans
- Ron Walker. Update on heat leak measurement setup.
- Bill Foster. Manpower, schedules, and budgets for FY99.
- Aug. 26. Low Field Magnet Team.
- H. Piekarz. "Floor plans and schedule for MW"
- Bill Foster. "Manpower and schedules for FY99 activities"
- Bill Fowler led a discussion on the CTS R&D proposal to develop a low heat leak
transmission line support/insulation system.
- Aug. 24. E. Malamud. "The Very Large Hadron Collider,"
presentation to HEPAP , Madison, Wisconsin.
- Aug. 21. Physics Detector Group. S. B. Nurushev, HEP, Protvino, "Survey of
Experimental Data in High Energy Spin Physics"
- Aug. 20. Construction/Installation Team.
- Joe Lach and Chris Laughton, "Visit to Robbins and their proposal of a Tunnel Cost
- Pete Conroy, "How the components break down in the Kenny Construction Company
Booster tunnel costs"
- Aug. 19. Low Field magnet group. Status reports:
- V. Kashikhin. Field quality test fixture.
- H. Piekarz. Feed-can/heat exchanger/pump Dewar.
- R. Walker. Heat Leak measurement setup.
- August 3. Accelerator Physics Team.
- July 29. Low Field magnet group.
- Piekarz, "Results of the first run of the feed can-pump -heat exchanger dewar"
- Kashkikin, "First results from the iron field quality test fixture"
- Walker, "Heat leak test fixture"
- Malamud, "BNL meeting"
- July 24. Ken Stanfield "Fermilab's Plans for the
Future," ICHEP98, Vancouver.
- July 23. Construction Team. Small meeting.
- July 22. Low Field magnet group.
- Mazur/Piekarz: Final run planning for feed-can/pump Dewar
- Foster: Status for field quality test fixture magnetic measurements
- Walker: Heat leak test fixture developments.
- Fowler: Trip report on visit to Cryogenics Technical Services, Inc. in Longmont, CO, on
possible R&D contract for low heat leak cold pipe support.
- Discussion of Nb3Al (Sumitomo) R&D proposal
- Discussion of forthcoming vlhc steering committee meeting at BNL
- July 14. Bill Foster, "vlhc" Annual Fermilab Users Meeting
- July 11. Construction Team. Small meeting.
- July 8. Low Field magnet group.
- Magnetic force calculations on the "short sample" test loop (Kashikhin)
- Run preparations & Status of Feed-can/pump Dewar. (Piekarz)
- Run Plan for Pump/HTX test run (?) (Mazur)
- Probe & drive status for field quality test fixture. (Makarov)
- Spider design for heat leak tests. (Walker)
- Issues relating to cold pipe support spec. for R&D contract.(McAshan)
- First results from Gerry Jackson's 120-meter beam vacuum pump-down test.(gwf)
- July 1. VLHC Low Field magnet group
- Probe parts status for field quality test fixture.
- Results from Feed-can/pump Dewar safety walk-thru & status. (Piekarz)
- Check Valve for Stinger (Mazur).
- Copper tape wrapping tool for transmission line test loop. (Piekarz)
- Vacuum jacket parts procurement status for test loop (Oleck).
- "Final" Dimpled Superinsulation Bid Specification.
- Preliminary Drawings for Heat leak tests. (Walker)
- Discussion of Engineering R&D contract to develop high performance
(i.e. low heat leak) support structure for transmission line cryopipe.
- June 23. Joe Lach, "The Very Large Hadron Collider (VLHC) at
Fermilab," HADRONS/98 (Crimea)
- June 24. Peter Limon "vlhc R&D at Fermilab,"
Fermilab Program Advisory Committee, Aspen.
- Vladimir Kashikhin Jr., Efremov Institute, Russia, "Pole Tip
Optimization for the VLHC Magnet," poster paper presented at EPAC-98, 22-26 June
- June 17. Low-field magnet team.
- Copper tape wrapping for transmission line test loop. (Piekarz)
- Feed can/pump Dewar safety approval status. (Mazur)
- RC Servos for analog control valves for pump & HTX flows (Mazur).
- Cryopipe & splice design being given to vendors of transmission line test
- More plans & numbers on heat leak test. (Walker)
- Probe & support procurement status for field quality test stand.
- Dimpled superinsulation. (Arkady Klebaner and Bill Boroski)
- June 11. Construction/Installation Team.
- June 10. Low-field magnet team.
- Report from 100kA current lead & power supply meeting.
- B-H curve results from high-current test fixture. (Schlabach/Foster)
- Feed can/pump Dewar status. (Piekarz)
- Stingers & analog control valves for pump test run (Mazur).
- Copper tape wrapping for transmission line test loop. (Piekarz)
- Vacuum jacket parts procurement status for test loop.
- Superinsulation & heat leak tests. (Walker)
- June 9. Age Vissar, "Using 20 Transrex Power Supplies to create a 100 kA supply for
the 1 km string test."
- June 8. Lattice Team.
- June 3. Low Field Magnet Team.
- Heinryk Piekharz. Reports on feed can/pump dewar status and copper tape wrapping
- discussion of stinger & instrumentation
- Alexander Makarov. Probe support structure for field quality test stand.
- Peter Mazur. Temperature bump method for testing Nb3Al transmission line sample.
- May 28. Construction. Special meeting with Kenny Construction.
- May 27. Low Field Magnet Team.
- May 13. Low Field Magnet Team.
- Jim Volk, Vladimir Kashikin, Stan Orr. Discussion of BM105 drive transformer
configuration. Decided we do want a reversing switch and for initial work 2 coils is
- Heinryk Piekharz. Report on cryopump tests.
- Discussion of safety approval for 50 m prototype.
- Ron Walker. Invar cycling is now complete; next step is to dismantle and leak test.
- Discussion of copper-tape-test wrapping for superconducting cable test loop.
- V. Kashikin. Report on Poisson results for pole tip design. Now has good field
uniformity to over 2 Tesla.
- Ernie. Report on industrially-produced prototype transmission line samples.
- May 7. D. S. Denisov, "Fermilab 3 TeV Booster." SPIN,
RAMPEX, & NEPTUN Collaboration Meeting, Ann Arbor
- April 29. Low-field Magnet Team.
- Bill. Discussion and decision on using BM105 (currently in MP8)
for initial drive transformer.
- Henryk Piekarz. Status report on the Cryo pump/feed can.
- Instrumentation for B-H curve tracing for iron ring samples on water-cooled copper test
stand. (full current mode 2.4 T).
- Bill: report on drive conductor designs based on 1 mm strand (information from American
- Ernie. Report on April 24 meeting to form a Steering Committee to corordinate US efforts
- April 24. Lattice Working Group. Leo Michelotti,
"Proposals from the past: is there something to be learned?"
- April 22. Low-field Magnet Team.
- Paul Grant of the Electric Power research Institute (EPRI) will
give a presentation on the status and installation plans for High-Tc power transmission
lines. They are actually planning to install & operate a LN2 temperature
transmission line in the Detroit power system by the end of the year.
- Henryk Piekarz will give a brief status report on the Cryo
pump/feed assembly/leak status.
1998 Annual Meeting of the American Physical Society
Session N14. DPB: Accelerator Physics Issues in Future Hadron Colliders
Monday afternoon, April 20, 14:00 - 16:30
Room C122, Columbus Convention Center
Organized by C. Shekhar Mishra
Chair: David Finley
||Design Issues in Future Hadron
||Shekhar Mishra, Fermilab
||Affordable Hadron Colliders Beyond
||William Foster, Fermilab
||High Field Approach to VLHC
||Mike Syphers, BNL
||Eloisatron Review and the VLHC
||William Barletta, LBL
||Ground Motion, Emittance Growth and
Preservation in VLHC
||Vladimir Shiltsev, Fermilab
||Transverse Instabilities and Dampers
||John Marriner, Fermilab
||VLHC High Energy Physics
||Sarah Eno, University of Maryland
Session P16. DPB: Hadron Colliders Beyond the LHC
Tuesday morning, April 21, 08:00 - 10:30
Room C124, Columbus Convention Center
Organized by G. William Foster
Chair: G. William Foster
||High Field Magnet R&D at LBL
||Ramesh Gupta, LBL
||High Field Magnet R&D at Fermilab
||Peter Limon, Fermilab
||The BNL Program for High Field
||Peter Wanderer , BNL
||Low Field Magnet R&D at Fermilab
||Vladimir Kashikin, Fermilab
||3 TeV Ring Vacuum System
||Gerry Jackson, Fermilab
||Power Transmission Lines
||Paul Grant, EPRI
||Cost Model for a 3 TeV VLHC Booster
||Joe Lach, Fermilab
||Summary and R&D for the VLHC
||Ernie Malamud, Fermilab
- Apr. 17. Accelerator Physics Team. Lee Teng, "Parameters of an e-p collider."
- Apr. 15. Low-field magnet team.
- Andy Oleck: status of cryo pump/feed can assembly.
- Vladimir Kashikin. Discussion of options for transmission line coupling transformer
- Ron Walker. Invar test has reached 500 cycles. Will end when 1000 cycles achieved and
then taken apart and welds inspected.
- Bill, led discussion on probe & stage for field quality measurements
- Bill. status of superconductor loop
- Joe Lach. Report on visit to Caterpillar Technical Center
- discussion of APS mini-symposia
- Bill. Schedule and Milestones
- Apr. 10. Dima Denisov, "100 TeV Hadron Collider,"
University of Florida HEP Seminar.
- Apr. 8. field trip to Caterpillar Technical Center, Peoria.
- Apr. 3. Construction/Installation. Meeting with Dr. Sanai LKosugi, Sumitomo Metals on
the "Pipeline Capsule" method of muck removal
- Mar. 25. Low-field magnet team.
- Ron Walker. "status of 50 m invar test"
- Status of 100 kA Water-cooled copper field quality test stand"
- status of protytpe cryogenics status
- status of M-West rigging.
- Mar. 13. Physics/Detector team. Andrew Brandt, "Forward Physics program in Run II
at Dzero & CDF and comparisons to possibilities at the VLHC Booster"
- Mar. 12. Construction/installation team. Discussion of the draft paper, "Cost Model
for a 3 TeV VLHC Booster Tunnel"
- Mar. 12. Tevatron University. Bill Foster. "The Superconducting
- Mar. 11. Low-Field magnet team. Vladimir Kashikhin, "Iron cross section, pole tip
design, forces on the conductors, and 3-D modelling of the water-cooled copper field
quality test stand
- Mar. 7. Ernie Malamud, "The Very Large Hadron Collider." Presentation to the
URA Visiting Committee
- Mar. 6. Accelerator Physics Team.
- Bob Noble,"Advanced Accelerator R&D Department plans and goals."
- Shekhar Mishra, "VLHC Beams Division Activities"
- Feb. 25. SPECIAL MEETING TO DISCUSS FORMATION OF A NATIONAL VLHC COLLABORATION
- Feb. 25. Low-field magnet team.
- Ron Walker, "Invar test status"
- Age Vissar and Hans Jostlein, "Discussion of 100 kA Power Supply options for future
- Feb. 25. Physics/Detector Group. ep discussion at ANL
- February 20. Shekhar Mishra. Los Alamos NP2 Seminar.
- February 18. Low-field magnet team.
- Arkady Kebaner & Joel Misek. "High-Performance superinsulation
- Bill Foster, "Prototype status"
- Jim Volk, "M-West rigging"
- Ron Walker, "Invar thermal cycling status"
- February 11. Low-field magnet team. Brief status reports on R&D projects.
- Jan. 23. Physics/Detector Team. Cyrus Taylor, "Full Rapidity Physics Possibilities
at the VLHC Booster"
- January 20. G. W. Foster, HEP Seminar at Cal Tech
- January 14. Low-field magnet team. Bill Foster, "Prototype system: goals,
non-goals, floor layouts, operating modes."
- January 12. Construction/installation team. Meeting with representatives from Kawasaki
- January 9. Physics/Detector Team.
- Dave Hedin, "Higgs searches at 6 TeV cm"
- Dima Denisov, "UNK program: pp vs ppbar option"